7.10.2013

Big Things

So some things have happened since the last time I wrote a blog. I've traveled a to a few more countries, jumped a few thousand more times, and aged a few months. A few notable things, Chaim and I finally figured out how to qualify, and how to win third sets from time to time. Here in Gstaad will be our fourth straight Main Draw appearance. Also, we took a 5th at the World Championships last week in Poland, which was kind of fun. I guess. (Even though I was robbed for the blocking title, they gave 2 of my blocks in the quarter to Chaim which would have tied me for the lead with the best ratio. Look it up)

Ok, it was a blast. We're finally starting to get some big wins, by making big plays, at big moments, under big amounts of stress, watched by big crowds, in big venues, against big players, .....etc. Only thing bigger would have been if we could have won a few more matches near the end, but it's a start. It was big enough, however, for me to think "Hmm, I should maybe write a blog or something." And here we are. (Also, someone's gotta challenge Ryan Doherty's claim to being the world's greatest blogger. ryan-doherty.com - I actually strongly recommend it, it might be a true claim)(PPS - He speaks pretty well of me in one of his recent blogs, so how could I not endorse?)

One of the best parts of the whole ordeal was the mass congratulations from friends, family, and everyone else who contacted me via Facebook, Twitter, E-mail, and any other means you can think of. My advice to all of you: Don't ever stop. The next best thing to actually winning the important matches, is being able to come home and read about how everyone back home is just as excited living vicariously through us.

Something else that always makes me smile (though sometimes time consuming) is being swarmed by all the local fans post match. When I was younger and first started playing internationally in the youth events, my dad advised me to never deny someone an autograph. I don't know if I ever will. I don't exactly crave the attention, but I love to see how excited people get over a simple picture with me, or to have a scribble on a piece of paper. How could you ever pass up on making even one person's day, never mind an entire crowd.

And now we come to Gstaad. Slightly smaller stakes, but no less difficult. There's no such thing as an easy tournament on tour, so it's immediately back to grind. Always pushing to improve on the week before. Such is life on the FIVB World Tour.

Cheers,
Ben Jammin

2 comments:

  1. It's been fun watching you and Chaim figuring things out. Good luck with the rest of the season. I'll be following you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan's blog is awesome. I don't think you can compete for that title, but I for one would be happy if you gave it a try. dad

    ReplyDelete